Featured Post

Mother of the Year Goes to.... Not Me

Every morning I go to the gym to exercise. I love it because I have a lot of friends there (it's my adult interaction for the day...hahah...but seriously...), endorphins are released, I feel powerful and strong....etc. Fast forward to about 10 minutes after I arrive home.

Kids are fighting over who grabbed the box of cereal first.

Tears are rolling down cheeks from, "Cameron looked at me in a mean way."

Fights are breaking out between who has to be the flippin' monkey in the middle...

You get the idea.

So pretty much all the good I do at 5:30 in the wee early morning hours gets completely undone. (Perhaps I should schedule my workouts to after the kids leave for school instead?)

Anyway, today was no different. The kids actually all got ready on their own really well without any fights. They had a good 20 minutes to kill before we had to leave for school. They decided to play a game (but not the blasted Monkey in the Middle game...No! No! I banned that game [and 'jinx&#…

Zucchini Bread and a Prompting

Two weeks ago our bishop taught the 3rd hour for our 5th Sunday lesson. He shared a video from Elder Bednar that basically talked about how we shouldn't be paralyzed by wondering if it's the Spirit speaking to us, or if it's our own thoughts. He states that if it's a good thing, to just go and do it. The Spirit cannot work through us if we sit there contemplating who is telling us this thought. Just do good things, and the Spirit will direct you. (Link found on Youtube by clicking here.)

I've reflected a lot on that over the last couple weeks, and have already found it to be true. For the last couple of days, I've known about a neighbor (Jennifer Lund) two doors down who is having her mother-in-law move in with her. Her mother in law, Lynne, had a stroke a couple months ago and is paralyzed on her left side, so Jennifer and her family will be her caretakers. (Well I've written a lot of articles on caretaking for my job, so I know it's no easy task...)

But Jennifer and I aren't very close. She's the YW president, and we're friendly with each other--chatting or waving briefly as we come and go in and out of the neighborhood, but not someone I would feel comfortable just going over spontaneously to talk for no reason.

Yet the name "Jennifer Lund" continued to come to mind. I thought to make it more comfortable, I would go over with a loaf of homemade zucchini bread (my squash is off the hook right now!). So that's what I did. I got the kids ready for bed (Matt was working late), and I told them to wait for me as I visited this sister.

As I walked over, I prayed that the Spirit would be with me and help me with what I needed to do. Jennifer opened the door, and with great relief on her face, invited me in to meet her mother in law. We visited for a couple of minutes before Lynne began expressing how painful her wheelchair that she was sitting in was. Jennifer told her she'd have to wait til Mark (Jennifer's husband) returned home--which wouldn't be for at least 45 minutes. I volunteered to help lift her, and although Lynne was hesitant at first, she let us. It was actually quite easy.

Jennifer and Lynne both commented, "How did you know we needed help? How did you know to come over?" I, almost overcome with the Spirit testifying to me at this point, choked out that it was a funny story--that her name kept coming to my mind and I couldn't shake it, so I went over with bread so she'd invite me in. lol. We all kind of teared up at that point, and then discussed how amazing the Spirit is, and how true ministering is.

Now I"m not trying to toot my own horn. I just did what I had been asked. But I am so grateful I did. I was able to visit with Jennifer and Lynne for about 30 more minutes before heading back home. Jennifer thanked me again with tears in her eyes, saying how grateful she was that I listened and came, and what an answer to both of their prayers I had been. I told her if she ever needed a break, I'd be happy to go sit with Lynne, and if she ever needed muscles again, she knew who to call.

I am overwhelmed with how this experience made me feel. I have been praying to be an "instrument in the Lord's hands." And I'm so grateful he used me.

When I returned home, Matt was back, and the kids were patiently waiting. Taylor asked me what had happened, and I told her the story. It was a wonderful teaching moment to tell her how the Spirit works. She thought it was pretty cool. (Early in the day when I was making the bread, she asked why. I told her that Sister Lund's name kept coming to me, and I needed to act on it). I hope she always remembers this.

I know my Heavenly Father loves me, hears me, and understands my needs, and those around me. I know that I was prompted by the Holy Ghost to go over, and I am so thankful I listened. I hope my kids, and my future posterity knows how important this is to me, because I know it won't be possible to get through the last days without the guided direction of the Holy Ghost.


Popular posts from this blog

Mother of the Year Goes to.... Not Me

Tati's Talk/ Thoughts on "Social Media Fast"